Projects update

After a long silent month we are glad to announce that we release a new version of GPS Serial (code-named 1.2). It should fix a lot of problems including incompatibilities with Navigon and Sygic. Moreover it fixes the speed issue that everybody has. The software is now consuming less battery and it is now totally inactive when the GPS is not used (even the serial port is closed, for technical people :-) ). It will be available in some hours in the usual ModMyI repository which is included with any Cydia installation.

We want also to inform you that xGPS is not dead and we are actively working on a new version with complete vectorial maps (i.e. you will be able to bring your whole country or even the whole world right in your pocket). There is still a lot of work to do but we are on the good way. We hope to have a beta version ready for the beginning of September. We will make a new beta tester team for that occasion. More information about that will come in the following weeks so it is unnecessary to ask in the forums or anywhere else how to become a beta tester.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Tags: ,

60 Responses to “Projects update”

1. Gilles says:

I also tried map download with xGPS manager on 2 computers and after seeming to work normally it always gives a message that there were some errors. Then no map is saved.
    This is new because about a month ago I did the same and it worked!
    Presumably Google has made some changes and the program needs updating.

2. Kent L says:

I too have the same problem. I cannot say when it started happening, but it may have coincided when I upgraded to Windows Vista 64 bit. Not neccessarily because of the OS but because of me upgrading the install of java. I have a Windows XP virtual machine operating on the same system that behaves the same way. Very frustrating.

3. Ernie says:

I still have an instable speed indicator. Still switches to zero and other speeds. Any thoughts ? Any other people having the same problem?

4. Genius says:

Is it working with IGPS360 and Tomtom? Because for me there is a problem with the speed I think, my car drive backward on tomtom maps

5. Vincent says:

I’m using the iGPS360 chip on my iPhone 2G and I installed the GPS Serial with the updated version 1.2.

With TomTom (downloaded 2 days ago), the speed is now well displayed (compared with the version 1.1 of GPS Serial where the speed was always minus 2km/h). However, my car is still driving backwards (and some time transversaly) on tomtom maps (as descibed by Genius on September 28). Note that on the highway (high speed), the direction is well displayed.

With XGPS, no problem of navigation (correct direction), except that the speed is still oscillating (each 0.5 seconde) between 0km/h and the correct speed on the counter.

6. Al says:

I am having a problem with Xgps Manager. I can not download any maps. All i get is gray screen. It was working a month ago. I have it installed on two computers one running XP and one running Vista and both have the same problem.

Does anyone know off any fix?

7. Marcelo says:

Hi there, same problem than Vincent and Genius with Tom Tom.

I hope some new update fix it!

8. Matt says:

I also get the gray screen on OSX using versions 1.0 and 1.1.

1.5 for OSX won’t even launch. (Intel MBPro Leopard)

9. Mathieu says:

What kind of OS X version?

10. Patrick says:

Just got my iGPS360 module and I’m not getting any useful results. I can report the same issues as Vincent and Marcelo, either TomTom and Navigon show the same odd behaviour. Like this, GPS navigation is next to being useless.

Unfortunately xGPS isn’t picking up any signal and the current release of xGPS Manager won’t even start. v1.0 doesn’t load any map at all.

Right now, I don’t think I have spent my money well, not at all.