As most of you now know, from the videos posted on iPhoneFreakz and on the ModMyI’s article, yes 1.2 is in its beta stage, and in a dead sprint for the finish line. We here at xGPS are now taking the time to post an official release of the new features, abilities, fixes, and updates coming in this new release of the xGPS Navigation Application for the iPhone Platform.
The previous version of xGPS was a GPS navigation program allowing what iPhone users really wanted out of their iPhone, realtime GPS navigation. So what have we improved upon from the last version? What have we fixed you ask? Well:
- Bookmarks for saved directions now work correctly. Save all the bookmarks you want in an improved way.
- GPX logging now works correctly. Save GPX data into multiple logs. Logs will be saved per calculated trips, and now adds the proper end carriage. Go ahead, track yourself and improve open maps!
- Current Location and Recompute Itinerary now work correctly. For those areas where it didnt work before, i.e. USA, your location status now works. There is no more “you have to have a hard address”. Plot your destination and roll out.
- Wrong Way indicator can now be hidden, should you feel adventurous during your routing, or need to make an extra stop!
- Map Manager on the iPhone Stability.
- Overall program stability and performance upgrades.
For all the updates, improvements, and fixes that have been included into this release, there have also, and probably the most exciting, been some expansion of the xGPS Program! What’s new to xGPS this time around?…:
- Wireless Transfer of your map files. No longer do you have to dig around your iPhones directory to find your map file or put it in the right place. Simply download your maps from your computer and wirelessly push them to the xGPS program on your iPhone. It’s that easy!
- Google Terrain Maps are now supported and added as another option for maps. All your hikers, bikers, and adventurers can enjoy this!
- GPS Information. Access your GPS’s Lat/Long specs as well as Altitude and Speed of your unit and sent it by email.
- English Voice instructions are now supported. Now included is the ability to receive verbal commands on your next turn as you approach it.
- Night Mode for all you road warriors traveling across the country all all hours of the night! A new, easy view for the eyes when driving at night!
- Access your GPX traces on your computer using a normal web-browser using the Wireless Transfer feature.
The xGPS Maps Manager has also new name: xGPS Manager. With a new name, a new software. The manage has thus been rewritten from scratch and now includes those new exciting new features:
- Name your map sections and keep them organized. When downloading maps you can now name each region, allowing you to know what you downloaded, at what zoom levels, and its size.
- Ability to download multiple zoom levels at a time now added.
- Keep drawn region outline when download of map is finished, should you want to download another zoom level or Terrain Maps of the same region!
- Option to show regions already downloaded.
- Google Terrain Maps is now supported.
- Wirelessly push and retrieve your device maps.
- Manage and sync GPX Routes from your iPhone/Computer and show them plotted on a map.
As you can see, a lot has gone into the next installment of the xGPS iPhone Application! We here at Xwaves are trying to give you the most complete and user friendly mappin solution for your iPhone.
As always, we couldn’t do this without you guys, our community. We want to thank you all for your support, input, and debugging of the xGPS software!
We are all excited about this new release and you guys should be too. We are bringing a lot to the table and setting the bar higher and higher for future releases.
The planned release for xGPS 1.2 is for the end of this month. We don’t to communicate a more accurate date as we simply don’t know it. So keep your calendars marked, and stay tuned! And as always you can find the xGPS Software on the ModMyI repo’s (already included with any jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch).